Friday, November 13

Truco 7

After Desmund's I said goodbye to Pollo and Ashley and headed to one of my favorite restaurants in Guanajuato: Truco 7. If you come visit me, which you should, there is no doubt we will go to this place, maybe even immediately upon arrival. The restaurant itself is decorated in very random, vintage antiques, mixed with a splash of modern culture. For example at my table in the corner, I turned to my right to be staring into the eyes of a young, framed Inrique Iglesias. I snorted loudly.I'm not sure what it is about Mexico and playing sappy-ass love songs all the time. I mean seriously. In places like la Mega (Mexican Walmart) you'll hear a melody you recognize, and then, BAM, Celine Dion's, My Heart Will Go On is being sung by a Mexican pop star. Sitting in Truco, the same thing: Phill Collin's, Against all Odds (Take a Look at Me Now), The Police, Every Breath you Take, or is it I'll be Watching You? Either way, it's totally inappropriate. Then this Spanish guitar version of, Don't Cry for me Argentina... If it's not sappy love songs, it's music stuck in the 90's like the guy that drove by me blasting Maria Carey's, Dreamlover. Or my cab driver yesterday blasting, I'm a Mother-Effing P.I.M.P.

My thoughts of stabbing out every speaker in the joint with my fork were interrupted by the arrival of my favorite thing about Truco: Tortilla SoupLa sopa de tortilla is the best soup I think I've ever had. The broth is incredible spicy, and it has strips of crunchy tortilla that contrast nicely with the softness of the mounds of avocado. They give you fresh lime to squeeze over the soup to add some citrus. And yes, those are floating chunks of queso as well. Mmmmm... Come visit me to try it yourself!
(Listening loudly to Pink Floyd's, Division Bell)

No comments:

Post a Comment