Friday, November 6

Full Immersion

Katie left for town Friday so I've had the past 36 hours to myself. In that time, I've managed to stop up the toilet, which I couldn't plunge out.

Is it sad that my first thought was to call Tim?

Next, my mom was online, so I asked her how I should plunge my toilet if the plunger doesn't work. She told me about something called a snake? So I decided to go ask the store owner that works and lives two houses down from me. He is a sweet little old man that would seem to have answers to these sort of predicaments. But first I had to look up some words in Spanish.This is why living in another country is the only way to go when trying to learn a language. Asking an old man how to un-clog your toilet after you've already tried the plunger is much more beneficial than learning, "Soy Natalie... Donde esta el baño?"

It requires vocabulario like:
"tirar la cadena" flush the toilet
"desatascador" plunger
"serpiente" snake, my mom recommended this. I have no clue what it is.
"vivo al lado de ud" I live right next door
"el plomero" plumber

The guy next door told me that a plumber lived right across the street, and I should just go knock on his door. I hesitated, being that it was 9 pm and dark, but I thought I would walk over there and look around. The house look abandoned. There was a black garbage bag covering one of the windows. I looked in the window to see a altar built to La Virgen de Guadalupe and a red flickering light. No thanks, I turned around and went back to my house. I was determined to fix the problem myself.

My next option was clear: YouTube! I entered "how to un-clog a toilet without a plunger," and got a lot of gross videos. But one in particular mentioned pouring boiling water to the toilet with dish washing soap. I was chatting with Drew and Katie about my predicament:

Drew: so what are you getting into tonight?
me: learning how to unclog a toilet
Drew: oooooo!! what fun!
me: i had to watch a you tube video, hehe
Drew: bwahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahaha
me: talk about dependency, LOL
Drew: aaaahahahaha

After telling Katie that the plunger didn't work:
katie: that means it is further down than what is possible to deal with with the plunger....good deal. In the meantime i wouldn't do anything else with it - the soap thing might work - but i would imaging plumbing here is different and the video was probably made in the states right?
me: yeah, i dunno, supposedly it lubes up whatever is in there
katie: hahaha
you said lube
about poop
me: LOLOL
i'm talking to you cracking up about this and drew, and he's cracking up too
we are so mature
katie: dude - poop is funny no matter who you are or how old you are, so - here is a bright side
me: yes?
katie: if need be - our back yard is a huge litter box so you can always join the masses of our household and pop a squat out back! haha. I am picturing this!!!!!!! AHHHmazing!

The youtube video mentioned that the water needed to be low in order to do this, so I put these conversations on hold to start scooping the contents of the toilet into an old bucket. After one trip, I heard the water draining and this "Sccchhhhhhllllllooooopppp!" and I ran into the bathroom to discover that it had flushed. Hooray!

me: the toilet is FIXED!
katie: he came!?
me: no! i did it myself!
katie: YES!!!! HANDYWOMEN!!!!

Drew: welp, i'm gonna clean up and head to the fervor show. Congrats on the toilet ;)
me: awww... jealous!
me: have fun! give everyone my plunger love!
Drew: will do(do)!

No comments:

Post a Comment