Tuesday, January 12

Tepoztlán 12.19

Anuar drove Morgan, Mitzi and I to a city called Tepoztlán in his mom's super-fancy-pants, clean SUV – a sharp contrast from the public transportation I'm used to in gto. Tepoztlán, about an hour and a half drive outside of the Mexico City, is the supposed birthplace of the god Quetzalcoatl, and is famous for the remains of an Aztec temple built on top of the nearby Tepozteco mountain. We went with the intention to climb to it.

First we took a quick tour around the city, went to a museum, visited a church and an old monastery, and had some lunch in the local markets.The view was breathtaking all around the tiny city.We went to the open market to get some lunch.
Look at all those fillings!
We had incredible quesadillas, including some with insectos which Mitzi highly recommended and forced me to try. The list:The quesadillas:
Tasted like an empty, salty peanut shell.

At the old monastery I found an abundance of warm light and I decided I would paint my future floors red.
Mitzi, the bug pusher.

Can you imagine living here?
My favorite shot of the day.
Around and around the picturesque town.

With stuffed bellies we began the hike, a set of un-even stone stairs that went up and up and up for over an hour. It looked a little something like this:
It was good to get some fresh air and be among trees again. Anuar on his way up:
At the very top, it turns into a rickety old ladder and flimsy stairs.
The ruins at the top:
Anuar y la vista.

Morgan and I, still in honeymoon mode. (I love you more. No, I love you more!)

We hung out for a couple of hours, hiking around and taking photos.
For me the descent was much harder than the ascent. My knees were trembling pretty shortly after take-off, and the next day I couldn't bend the right one. (Luckily we were crashing with a doctor and med student, who hooked me up with anti-inflammatory meds and a leg-wrap.)

The big rock faces made me think of the Red-River gorgeous – we even saw a few climbers.
Finally at the bottom, resting for a minute.

Nothing to stop those throbbing knees like blended mojitos!
Made a new friend.
Back in DF we ate street food for dinner and then indulged in these giant fried, sugary things...
And drank ponche, hot water brewed with multiple fruits and served with sticks of sugar cane. (One of my favorites.)
Went to bed with my leg elevated and could hardly sleep knowing what was going to happen the following day: My first visit to Casa Azul! (Frida Kahlo's house.) Eeek!

Listening to Laura Veirs' new album, July Flame. (Just lovely.)

1 comment: