Thursday, November 5

Soy Natalia, princesa de Guanajuato


Wise quotes, and some cheesy ones too, that genuinely make me feel better.
I know we all find quotes that empathize with our current needs. I'm sure that if I punched an undeserving someone in the nose, I could even find a quote to make me feel better about myself for it. But I can't deny that I get at least a twinge of relief when I read the following things:

"So – though the first couple of weeks may be scary and lonely; though you may find yourself caught in the undertow of uncharted, shark-infested waters, as Winston Churchill said, 'When you're going through hell, keep going,' because there is a clarity, peace and rejuvenated perspective that only extremely difficult experiences can unlock. When that happens – you'll rule the world, I know it. Until then will just have to settle for Princess of Guanajauto, which will suck, you know, drinking tequila and salsa dancing in the streets all the time." (Excerpt from Shelly's card, read on the plane to Mexico)

"Just b/c the split was initiated by you doesn't mean you aren't allowed to grieve," Drew, November 3

"The heart of another is a dark forest, always, no matter how close it has been to one's own." Willa Cather

"Your absence has gone through me like thread through a needle. Everything I do is stitched with it's color" W.S. Merwin

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Sufi Poet, Rumi

"When the river of truth rises, when it washes over the sandbags I've placed around my life – for my own protection, of course – do I grieve or rejoice?" Sy Safranksky's Notebook

"Must it be like this? I ask the mirror. Don't ask me, the mirror says."
Sy Safranksky's Notebook

"I love you no matter what you do, but do you have to do so much of it?" Jean Illsley Clarke

"Love they say, can move mountains. Less romantically, love has also been known to move mountains of crap." Andrew Boyd's article called, The Happiest Day of Someone Else's Life.

The following is out of an article called, A Mindful Marriage, about a a man and a woman who each left their separate Buddhist Monasteries to be together:

"We try to live by the idea that whatever happens arises out of perfection, even if it looks imperfect. As Ajahn Chan would say, 'If it shouldn't be this way, it wouldn't be this way.'"

"At times we are all faced with difficult choices, some of which bring criticism and blame. If out of fear, or duty we follow the wishes of our peers and our society and our family, we might deny what is right and true for us and end up living the wrong life. Although I am capable of getting entangled in doubts and worried, when I made the two most important decisions of my life– leaving my Rhodes scholarship to go to Thailand and fifteen years later, leaving the monkhood to be with Thanissara – my path was clear both times. I knew what I needed to do. I was sorry these decisions caused others disappointment and pain, but my heart told me, 'Go through that door.' I've never regretted it."

No comments:

Post a Comment